Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

2 Answers

Passengers insurance

Asked by: 1312 views ,
General Aviation, Private Pilot

I got my Power plane license 2 months ago and I just started thinking about giving a ride to a friend. I checked with my club and the insurance covers me and the plane but not my passengers. So any recommendations on how to proceed. I like to prepare for the worst and hope for the best… I just want to be sure I will never encounter the following case "me and my passengers get hurt (or worse) and then the family of the passengers decide to sue my family (my wife)". Any advise please ? Thanks

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

2 Answers

  1. Best Answer

    jeff on Mar 08, 2015

    More than likey, the clubs insurance covers the CLUB against damage and liability to THEIR aircraft while YOU are flying. Thats most likely what they mean. You would have to look at their policy, but that is the common senerio. What YOU need to get is renters insurance that covers YOU (and your passengers) for damage and liability while you are flying a rented aircraft (so if a passemger got hurt and sued you, you would be covered. I doubt thats the case with the club policy. It would be very uncommon) .

    If you are a member of AOPA, they have a renters policy you can purchase very reasonably. There are several other companies who offer renters insurance but the AOPA product is one of the best/cheapest. Dont make the mistake thinking you are truly covered by the clubs policy.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Bidochon on Mar 09, 2015

    Thanks Jeff,
    I will surely contact AOPA. Thanks for the advise.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.