Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

5 Answers

Extra-curricular aviation activity

Asked by: 4725 views Aerodynamics, Flight Instructor, General Aviation, Private Pilot, Student Pilot

So I'm currently working on my PPL (about to start on the xc portion) But I have an instructor that says we'll be able to work on it through part of the winter, except for maybe February when it's just bitterly cold.  I'm hoping to be done with the training and having my ticket by next June 2011.

I get quite a bit of vacation time (5 weeks) from work and am hoping to do something aviation related and can't think of anything fun.  Would like it to be in the midwest area (Ohio/Michigan/Indiana)  My CFII says we can do spin stuff in the Cessna 172 that we're currently using. Thought about getting tailwheel endorsement but sort of was talked out of doing that since it's alot of foot work involved. 

Anyone have suggestions? 

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

5 Answers

  1. Lance on Oct 29, 2010

    So I’m guessing that you are planning on taking your aviation vacation after you get your private, otherwise I would recommend working on that so that you can get that part out of the way, and let the real fun begin.
    If you are anything like me, there is nothing in aviation that you will find boring, so the hard part is picking which activity to do. Here are some of the things, (both completed and not completed) from my list of things to do.

    -Get a tailwheel endorsement (one of the most fun things I’ve done, just be warned, you might never go back to an airplane that has the tailwheel on the wrong end)

    -Learn to fly something other than single engine airplanes, there are many other flying machines out there that you can add on ratings for in anywhere from a weekend, to a month. (helicopter, gyroplane, glider, multi engine, seaplane, balloon)

    -Take an aerobatic beginner course, spin training is fun, but take it to the next level with a beginning aerobatic course

    -Learn to fly several different types of airplanes, you have probably only flown one or two types, and very similar at that if you are still working on your private. Even though that certificate gives you the authority to fly other types of airplanes, every aircraft flies different so just go fly some different types.

    -Take a bush flying course, learn how to operate an airplane in and out of unimproved strips (tough to find in the midwest, easier in Alaska)

    -Learn to ski fly (this will take a trip to somewhere northern in the winter time, but it is a blast!)

    Hope this helps, like I said though, anything you pick you will enjoy!

    +3 Votes Thumb up 3 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Kate Knoblauch on Oct 29, 2010

    Exactly the type of list I was looking for, Thanks Lance. Yes I was going to wait until after I get my PPL.  I just wanted to have some thing to look forward to after it’s done. 🙂

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. Ryan on Nov 02, 2010

    Lance, you mention:
    Learn to fly something other than single engine airplanes, there are many other flying machines out there that you can add on ratings for in anywhere from a weekend, to a month. (helicopter, gyroplane, glider, multi engine, seaplane, balloon)
    You added Helicopter in there.  is this accurate? You can transition from SEL to Helicopter pilot in about a month?

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  4. Kent Shook on Nov 02, 2010

    You could probably do it in a month, but you’d be flying a lot. Without looking at the FAR’s, I’m not sure how many helicopter hours you need for the add-on at the Private level, but at the Commercial level you need at least 50 Rotorcraft-Helicopter hours for the add-on, and we know that FAA minimums aren’t often met.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  5. Danny D. Creech on Nov 17, 2010

    There is a company up in Alaska I almost went to work for this past spring but took a different job. They offer PPL, tail wheel, upset training, and Alaska bush flying all in ONE!
    Why do one, then another, then another when you can do them all at the same time? Saves money and time when you do it all together.
    I agree with Lance, fly as many things as you can. Look at Captain Sulenburg. He has stated and I agree with him that it was his glider flying that helped him as a pilot to land that jumbo jet safely in the Hudson River.
    If you want the web site to that company, let me know. I don’t want to put it here because I don’t want to appear as promoting them. I know little about that company but they have a nice web site.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.