Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

3 Answers

VFR Planning

Asked by: 5815 views Airspace, General Aviation

Who is the best agency to call and request vfr flight following? Also, how do I find the appropriate controlling facility (ARTCC) for each given part of a sectional?

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

3 Answers

  1. Paul on Aug 21, 2010

    “Best Agency” all depends on where you are.  If you are at Class B, C, or airport with TSRA, I would call the local approach controller.  You can find their frequency on the sectional chart.  It is usually a solid magenta (purple) informational box:

    contact approach

    To find the local ARTCC facility, I would recommend looking at your local AFD (airport facility directory).   The AFD will list the local ARTCC facility under “operations data” and also under airport communications, list the local approach control facilities that you can call when requesting VFR flight following.


    +2 Votes Thumb up 2 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Brian on Aug 22, 2010

    What Paul said and I would add: If you are departing from a towered airport, you can make the request to the ground controller for flight following. Keep in mind, if the airport has a clearance delivery frequency then you would request flight following from them and not the ground controller.
    Example call to ground: Nashua ground Cessna 123xy at college ramp to taxi to runway 32 with zulu requesting VFR flight following direct to portland at 5,500.

    +1 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. Eric Gideon on Aug 22, 2010

    Another good way, if you’re flying a newer avionics system (GNS430, G1000), is to visit the NRST chapter and flip to the ARTCC page. The nearest – although not always the nearest appropriate – center and approach frequencies will be listed.

    In reality, if you call up a controller and tell them where you are and what you want, they’ll hand you off to the appropriate sector.

    +3 Votes Thumb up 3 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.