Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

1 Answers

Private Pilot Cross Country Requirements

Asked by: 6793 views , , , ,
Flight Instructor, Private Pilot

Ok a couple of questions rolled up in one..

  1. I'm studying for my CFI and I'm looking over FAR 61.109 for private pilot aeronautical experience. (2)(i) requieres one cross-country flt more than 100 NM and (5)(ii) is the long cross-country of 3 points over 150 NM. Doesn't the latter cover both requirements, or does the FAA want both? Kind of confusing the way they write it out.
  2. My Second question is in (5)(iii) the 3 TO's and landings in a control tower airport, is that solo or dual?

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

1 Answers

  1. Matthew Waugh on Jul 29, 2010

    1. Yes they can be the same flight – make sure that you picked up on the (2)(i) requirement that it be at night. We can debate the wisdom of all a students cross country flight training being at night, but it’s legal.

    2. Solo – section 5 refers to “10 hours of solo flight time” and then (iii) is a subsection of that.

    +2 Votes Thumb up 2 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.