Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

2 Answers

What’s the difference between….

Asked by: 2831 views , , , ,
FAA Regulations, General Aviation

What's the difference between:

- Special Airworthiness certificate

- Letter of authorization

- Special flight permit

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

2 Answers

  1. Mark Kolber on May 13, 2014

    A special airworthiness certificate is a group of authorizations for non-standard aircraft, such as amateur-build aircraft. It’s often permanent (such as with amateur built aircraft ), or i =t might be temporary, such as..

    a special flight permit is essentially a sun-group of special airworthiness certificate for various purposes. It might take the form of a ferry permit or an authorization for production aircraft flight testing.

    A letter of authorization is also a group of authorizations for various purposes, although they are probably more typically authorizations to engage in certain types of operations, rather than associated with particular aircraft. There’s a pretty wide variety For example, educational institutions are issued LOAs for certifying graduates under the new ATP rules (61.169), operators may be issued LOA for flying in iraq (91.1605), and LOAs are issued for certain commercial air tours (136.6).

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Kris Kortokrax on May 13, 2014

    Special Flight Permits are described in 21.197.
    Airworthiness Certificates are described in 21.183 through 21.195

    A much more detailed description can be found in FAA Order 8130.2G. It is available on fsims.faa.gov.

    Letters of Authorization are also described in Order 8900.1 (fsims.faa.gov). As Mark noted, they are issued for a multitude of reasons.

    Many are issued to Part 91 operators to allow flight in RVSM airspace, flight across the Atlantic in MNPS airspace, using an MMEL as an MEL, using ADS-B and CPDLC.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.