Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

2 Answers

Maintaining FAA currency from another country

Asked by: 3479 views , , , ,
FAA Regulations

Quick question, I am an airline pilot here in Europe. I have always kept my FAA CFI valid although I haven't used it in years. Now my question is, if I come to the US to rent an aircraft, do my hours flying in Europe count towards all my FAA licenses? Or do I need to do a BFR etc? Thanks - Unfortunately I couldn't find a FAR/AIM to find the answer.

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

2 Answers

  1. Matthew Waugh on Jul 27, 2010

    Your hours don’t mean anything with respect to a BFR. You need a BFR (or an equivalent) within the past 2 years – you may not have flown at all in those 2 years or you may have flown 8 hours a day – you still need a BFR.

    If your question is “do my hours in Europe count when renting an aircraft” the FAA has no interest in that question – and in fact only the person you are renting the aircraft from can answer that question. Most places will require some kind of “checkout”, hours flown in Europe will keep you proficient, so presumably that will make it easier for you to satisfy the requirements of the checkout.

    I hope that answers the question.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Wesley Beard on Nov 11, 2010

    I think you are asking whether or not currency requirements fulfill the currency requirements for the FAA.  The answer is NO.  The regulations specify what an authorized instructor is and a flight instructor from another country can provide the training but only a FAA certificated instructor can sign you off for a flight review or IPC check.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.