Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

10 Answers

Commercial Single Engine Add On???

Asked by: 19248 views Commercial Pilot, FAA Regulations, Flight Instructor

Here is my situation.  I am in the military and have a multi-engine commercial with instrument as well as commercial rotarty with instrument.  I'm trying to figure out how to get a single-engine commercial add on. I've been told that all I need is a few hours of instruction until proficient and a FAA checkride.  I called the FSDO and he didn't seem positive but said I will need to meet the part 61 129 requirements, which I dont.  

So my basic question is...is there an exception since I already have a commercial multi-engine license?  


Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Dauntless Aviation's GroundSchool series of apps are the smart pilot's choice for fast and effective FAA knowledge test prep.
Actual, up-to-date FAA questions Polished user experience
Best explanations in the business Free lifetime updates!
Private Pilot IFR Commercial Pilot CFI ATP Sport Pilot Sport Pilot Instructor Parachute Rigger Aviation Mechanic (A&P)
You can get the app now and be studying right away. Available for PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android.

10 Answers

  1. Best Answer

    Kris Kortokrax on Mar 24, 2014

    The person at the FSDO should resign his position. He obviously knows nothing about regulations. See 61.63(c) for the requirements to add a class rating.

    Pretty much, you need enough training to perform the maneuvers required for the practical test. You likely did no chandelles, lazy eights, pylon eights, etc. for your multi training.

    No knowledge test necessary.

    +6 Votes Thumb up 6 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Brian Thompson on Mar 25, 2014

    I had this situation at the start of my career. I had multi-comm. I was flying cargo in a beech baron. The company then bought new Cessna Caravans and I needed to get my single engine comm add on. I found an examiner by word of mouth, explained I have been flying part 135 cargo in multi engine planes. He said I needed no training, just a check ride. He asked me a few questions about aerodynamics and weight and balance, we flew for an hour to see how I handled a Cessna 172, he demonstrated some things to me, and we were done. Easy.

    +4 Votes Thumb up 5 Votes Thumb down 1 Votes

  3. micah modest on Mar 25, 2014

    Thank you very much.

    +1 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  4. Sam Dawson on Mar 26, 2014

    I would not go so far as what Brian wrote, but as Kris pointed out there is no minimum hour training requirement. You must, however, “…have a logbook or training record endorsement from an authorized instructor attesting that the person was found competent in the appropriate aeronautical knowledge areas and proficient in the appropriate areas of operation.” So you must be proficient in the SEL maneuvers such as chandelles, lazy 8’s, eights on pylons. Also must be able to do a soft field take off/landing, something else you have not done in a MEL. A few other requirements that can be found in the PTS (Practical Test Standards), but as check rides go it is probably the most fun and DE’s usually enjoy giving them. Very little oral- off the top of my head I think two areas. Performance/limitations and systems.
    I had a contract to do this with the Army- transition MEL pilots to SEL- so I have a syllabus. If you find a CFI to do this and they want a copy have them shoot me an email, or I can give it to you.

    +4 Votes Thumb up 4 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  5. Sam Dawson on Mar 26, 2014

    Oh, one other thing I forgot that you will need. Since I assume you do not have SEL (single engine land), privileges of any sort you will need an endorsement to be PIC in solo operations in a SEL. Many CFI’s are not familiar with this. You are NOT a student pilot so FAR 61 sub-part C does not apply to you, but you still need this endorsement to solo a single engine airplane and to take the check ride. Again, I am assuming you have no privileges for single engine land.

    +3 Votes Thumb up 3 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  6. micah modest on Mar 26, 2014

    You are correct, I have no SE ratings. Thanks a lot for the input. You guys make life easy!

    +1 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  7. Kris Kortokrax on Mar 26, 2014


    He has no need to perform any solo operations during his training.
    Also, 61.31 (l)(2)(i) states “The rating limitations of this section do not apply to an applicant when taking a practical test given by an examiner”.

    He doesn’t need a 61.31 (d) endorsement to act as PIC for solo operations.

    -1 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 1 Votes

  8. ahmeen gaddy on Jul 14, 2017

    If you have some time, I’m an army guy in that exact predicament. I can be reached at ahmeeng@yahoo.com. Thanks in advance!

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  9. Wilson on Oct 24, 2017

    Can I please get that syllabus? I also have a commercial multi/instrument, I just got signed off for my commercial single engine add on. I would like to take a look at it before my checkride. My email wilsonmp1620@gmail.com

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  10. Brian on Nov 11, 2017


    I am interested in the SEL add-on syllabus you mentioned.



    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.