Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

1 Answers

Mode A transponder

Asked by: 2133 views
Airspace, FAA Regulations, General Aviation

Is mode A transponder required in Class E or G airspace 30 s.m laterally and below 10000 ft from Class B and C airspace?

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

1 Answers

  1. Ash on Feb 26, 2014

    I think you may be refering to the regulations concerning Mode 3A/C transponders in 91.215. To summarzie, you need a Mode 3A/C (an altitude encoding transponder commonly found in most training aircraft) if you want to fly in:

    1. Class A, B, or C airspace
    2. Within the 30NM Mode C veil of a Class B primary airport from the surface up to 10,000MSL
    3. Above the ceiling and within the lateral boundaries of Class B or Class C airspace up to 10,000MSL
    4. All airspace at or above 10,000MSL (excluding the airspace at and below 2,500AGL)

    There is no mention of excluding Class E or G airspace, so the implication is that if scenarios 1-4 apply, than yes you do need a transponder (with Mode C).

    If you are only equipped with a Mode 3A transponder, you should advice ATC (prior to entering the airspace described in scenarios 1-4). You can read about this in 91.215(d) “ATC Authorized Deviations.”

    Hope this was helpful.

    +1 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.