Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

1 Answers

FAA requirements

Asked by: 3110 views FAA Regulations


Im an international student and I actually hold an FAA PPL. 

Im looking forward on getting all the way through at least CFI. My question is, what do I require to have in order to be a CFI? Especially regarding the Commercial Multi and Single add-on. Do I need to have both the multi and the single in order to get my CFI certificate? If it is not required, would you recommend me to do it? Also, I will do Instrument, Commercial and CFI in 141. Does it change something if the single add-on is done in part 61? What do airlines prefer for pilots to have?



Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

1 Answers

  1. Bob Watson on Jan 21, 2014

    For a CFI in an airplane, you need at least a commercial pilot license w/ an instrument rating. If you want a CFI for single-engine airplanes, you need those for a single-engine airplane. After you get your license or rating, it doesn’t matter if it was through part 141 or 61 training; however, it might affect how much additional flight time and training you need to get the next license or rating. It just depends on how or if you mix them up.

    After your CFI-A, consider looking at other options, like CFII or MEI so you can get more time and experience with instrument and ME flying.

    +1 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.