Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

2 Answers

Starting a Flight Training Schol

Asked by: 1704 views FAA Regulations, General Aviation

Dear Sir,

My name is Joseph and I live near Fort Lauderdale, FL. I did my PPL course. I am planning to start a Flight Training School [Part 61 to start with]. Can you tell me the steps and procedures ?.  Is it possible to bring Foreign students, if I have part 61 registration. 

Thanks and regards,


Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

2 Answers

  1. Mark Kolber on Nov 29, 2013

    Other than having a stable of airplanes and instructors that meet the requirements of the various FAR that apply to qualification and currency of instructors and equipment, some of which apply specifically to training (i.e., 100-hour inspections for aircraft not supplied by the student), there is nothing much in the FAR that regulates part 61 flight schools as such. They, and their curricula, are not, for example, certified or approved by the FAA as is the case with Part 141 schools.

    You will likely have more tax and state-specific business issues than FAA ones. Form of entity, responsibility for taxes, unemployment and workers compensation insurance, contracts between you and your instructors and students, leaseback contracts with aircraft owners who lease aircraft back to you, insurance. Airport space leasing and compliance with your airport’s standards for business operations will also be considerations that have to be addressed.

    Is that enough of a tip of the iceberg for you? Your best bet, as with any business endeavor is going to be to take the time to sit down with someone knowledgeable in both business and aviation law to run you though the requirements and business options.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Mark Kolber on Nov 29, 2013

    And, yes. Foreign students are fine so long as the applicable TSA rules are met

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.