Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

2 Answers

Can FAA CPL teach ground course?

Asked by: 11576 views FAA Regulations, Flight Instructor

According FAR

141.81   Ground training.

(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, each instructor who is assigned to a ground training course must hold a flight or ground instructor certificate, or a commercial pilot certificate with a lighter-than-air rating, with the appropriate rating for that course of training. ---------------- Last sentence, or a CPL with a lighter-than-air rating...... Does this mean CPL(let's say SEL CPL) can legally teach ground course?

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

2 Answers

  1. Best Answer

    Kris Kortokrax on Oct 25, 2013

    What part of “commercial pilot certificate with a lighter-than-air rating” is unclear?
    There is no instructor rating for lighter-than-air, so the holder of a commercial pilot certificate with a lighter-than-air rating is allowed to teach in that category/class.

    There is no provision for the holder of a Commercial pilot certificate (other than lighter-than-air) to teach anything (except as an instructor in a Part 121 or 135 Air Carrier company) unless he holds a Flight Instructor or Ground Instructor certificate, as appropriate.

    +1 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Lion on Oct 27, 2013

    I agree with Kris’s answer.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.