Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

4 Answers

Logging cross country time, after commercial certificate.

Asked by: 3036 views , , , ,
Commercial Pilot, FAA Regulations

So I am currently a commercially certificated pilot. It just dawned upon me the other day that you can technically log every flight as a cross country flight so long as the destination is different than the original point of departure (correct me if I am wrong). I have not been doing this, as I believed cross country was still considered any straight line distance greater than 50nm and to an airport different than the departure. SO before I make any major alterations to my former logbook entries, and how I record cross country time in the future, I'd like to make sure about it. Probably the biggest thing I cannot figure out (I even called the FSDO and no one called me back) is if I am building cross country time for ATP, does the cross country definition of "greater than 50nm straight line distance..." apply for ATP? Or is it any considered any distance so long as the destination is different than the point of departure? Thanks!

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

4 Answers

  1. Kris Kortokrax on Oct 06, 2013

    See 61.1(b)(4)(vi)

    If you are logging time for an ATP, it still needs to be over 50 NM.

    +1 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Wes Beard on Oct 06, 2013

    Reference 61.1. The answer is in the definition for cross country.

    Cross country is defined as landing at another airport other than the original airport. Both 121 and 135 use this definition.

    For airplane private, instrument and commercial an additional restriction is placed yo make the airports greater than 50NM.

    For ATP, the only addition is the airplane has to travel a distance greater than 50NM but doesn’t have to land.

    In my logbook I have three columns 135XC, XC and ATP XC to differentiate the requirements.

    +1 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. Gary Moore on Oct 06, 2013

    Also there is a difference in “logged cross country” and “logged cross country used to meet the requirement of a rating”

    You can log whatever you want – you may need to log certain things to meet the requirement for a rating, certificate or currency….

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  4. Mark Kolber on Oct 07, 2013

    The only additional comment that may (or not) be worth making is that the “after commercial certificate” part of the question may be a bit misleading. I mention it because I heard from others that somehow the logging rules change after one gets the commercial.

    They don’t. The multiple definitions of cross country apply from the very beginning. What are described as “definitions” of cross country are actualy descriptions of what types of cross country can be use for particular purposes.

    To use Wes’ multiple column example, your student pilot flight with your CFI to the towered airport 10 NM away from home base to practice tower ops, would go into Wes’ 135XC column, although not into the other two.

    +1 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.