Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

4 Answers

Questions about 135.243

Asked by: 2629 views FAA Regulations

Can someone please enlighten me on far 135.243? As I read it if I have a commercial pilots license and 50o hours then after obtaining a commercial operators certificate then I could fly a charter in something like a 206? And do the hour requirements only apply to the airplanes that Meet these criteria "turbojet airplane, of an airplane having a passenger-seat configuration, excluding each crewmember seat, of 10 seats or more, or of a multiengine airplane in a commuter operation as defined in part 119 of this chapter"

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

4 Answers

  1. Wes Beard on Aug 23, 2013

    To fly ASEL airplanes VFR you need 500 hrs total time as well as the rest of the hours in (b). most 135 operators won’t hire you unless you already meet the hour requirements for VFR or IFR depending on their operation.

    To fly jets or aircraft with more than ten passengers you are required to hold an ATP certificate.

    +1 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Matthew Waugh on Aug 24, 2013

    Wes addresses getting employed, the poster mentioned “obtaining a commercial operators certificate” – just FYI that’s not as easy as I think you’re hoping.

    +1 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. Ops-center on Aug 24, 2013

    Thanks, I’m under no illusion that it’s easy. Just threw it in there so I would get an actual confirmation on how I read the reg instead of like most other forums where I’ll just get a hundred people telling me you’ll never get a job at 500 instead of addressing the actual subject.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  4. Mark Kolber on Aug 25, 2013

    I’m not sure I really understand the question. It sounds like you’re trying to read the section as though it were one long sentence. 135.243 includes 3 distinct sets of airplane pilot requirements: (a) requirements for Part 135 turbojet, multi, or >10 passenger seat aircraft operations (which has nothing to do with a Cessna 206); (b) pilots for other Part 135 VFR ops; and (c) pilots for other Part 135 IFR ops.

    And to return to Matt’s question, are you talking about being a pilot for an existing Part 135 operation or trying to start your own charter business and applying for a Part 135 certificate? Sometimes it sounds like you are asking about being hired; at other times about going through the process of obtains an operating certificate.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.