Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

2 Answers


Asked by: 2166 views Commercial Pilot, FAA Regulations, Flight Instructor

Hello, I recently passed a practical test to add a single-engine class rating to my multi-engine commercial certificate. To add a single-engine class rating to my multi-engine CFI certificate only requires eights on pylons for the flight portion which I did for the commercial test. My question is: do I have to fly again or can I count my commercial eights on pylons towards my CFI certificate, understanding there is a time limit if it is allowed? Thanks

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

2 Answers

  1. Fly92020 on Jul 15, 2013

    I would guess you would have to re-do it; as an ‘instructor’. Keep in mind the CFI’s are not pilot licenses (that’s one reason they don’t automatically count as a Flight Review). The CFI PTS’s all talk about ‘…exhibits instructional knowledge….’, not about flying maneuvers at a certain technical level as a CPL or PPL applicant would do.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Wes Beard on Jul 15, 2013

    If you already have a MEI… You should know the answer.

    You need to show the examiner you can teach the commercial maneuvers not just fly them like you did for the commercial practical test.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.