Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

3 Answers

pilot training

Asked by: 1929 views Commercial Pilot

I am looking to become a commercial airline pilot, but i do not have
the funds required to cover the training costs. i want to avoid
getting a loan from the bank because of the high interest rates. i
have looked almost everywhere on the internet looking for a commercial
airline that offers a pilot sponsorship that pays for all the training
and in return i work for them for a certain amount of years, slowly
paying them back. I do know that these sponsorships exist and a lot of
airlines have stopped them recently, but there are some airlines that
still do them. Which ones do? and how do i apply? Are there any pilot
training companies that offer a similar sponsorship? if so which ones?
and gow do i apply?! i do not mind being based in another country if
required for the training. i am 18 years of age, i have just finished
my A-levels, so i beleivce this is the right time for me to apply. I
hope that you can give me some good advice and point me in the right
direction for becoming a commercial airline pilot.
Looking foreward to hearing from you!

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

3 Answers

  1. Ale on Jul 13, 2013

    This kind of training sponsorship mostly exist in some Asia countries such as India, China…etc.

    However, one of their requirements is to hold the citizenship of the that particular country.

    My best advice for you is to contact your local aviation authority in your country (equivalent to the FAA in USA and JAA in Europe) and ask them which airlines offer this type of training.

    Wishing you good look in your feature.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. LTCTerry on Jul 15, 2013


    You mentioned “A-levels” so I’m going go guess you are in the UK. You can find tons of info on your question at pprune.org.

    In short, commercial pilot training in the UK/Europe runs about 100,000 pounds. You pay for your training, pay for your type rating, then look for a job that pays 20,000 pounds/year.

    From what I’ve read on pprune.org it looks like there are about five flight school graduates for each seat that comes available.

    As far as I know, the sponsorship schemes (British use of the word, not US) are pretty much gone. Why would and airline pay for your training when hundreds of people are willing to pay for it themselves?

    Alternatives? Join the RAF or RN and learn to fly. Go the “modular” route and advance each time you have saved enough money for the next step. Move to another country where you have the chance to earn ratings and build hours cheaper.

    Are you too old for the Air Cadets? That’s a cheap way to start flying. Even without the Air Cadets, learning to fly in a glider club is cost efficient and fun.

    If you are not willing to do whatever it takes, and are just looking for a free ride financially, then you are unlikely to end up in the right seat of anyone’s jet.

    Good luck.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. Mr NineThreeKilo on Jul 21, 2013

    Pay up, flying aint cheap, dont expect others to pay your way.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.