Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

5 Answers

My photo ID has expired and I won’t be able to renew it for a while. What can I use in the meantime to fly?

Asked by: 4515 views , , ,
FAA Regulations, General Aviation, Private Pilot

On my 21st birthday my Drivers License expired. I go to college in MO but the license is from NY. Since I am unable to personally go to the NY DMV and renew it, the online process can result in a months wait to renew my license. I do not have a passport or any other form of government ID. What should I do to legally be able to fly as a private pilot until my new license comes in? Will my expired license still work?

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

5 Answers

  1. Wes Beard on Jul 01, 2013

    See FAR 61.3.

    The regulation does not specify the identification has to be current. I would imagine though it should be. It’s an interesting question.

    The other option is to have an airport badge as identification.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Jonathan Seitz on Jul 01, 2013

    Do to the DMV in MO and get an ID card. Most states will allow you to get a state-issued ID card if you are a college student who normally lives in another state.

    +2 Votes Thumb up 2 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. Jim F. on Jul 02, 2013

    Yeah, I’d definitely suggest the MO I.D. Don’t quote me on it, but IIRC a school/college I.D. may also be acceptable.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  4. Jim F. on Jul 02, 2013

    Sorry, but to elaborate on my school/college I.D. comment: FAR 61.3 states:

    Ҥ 61.3 Requirement for certificates, ratings, and authorizations.
    (a) Pilot certificate. No person may serve as a required pilot flight crewmember of a civil aircraft of the United States, unless that person—
    (2) Has a photo identification that is in that person’s physical possession or readily accessible in the aircraft when exercising the privileges of that pilot certificate or authorization. The photo identification must be a:
    (ii) Government identification card issued by the Federal government, a State, the District of Columbia, or a territory or possession of the United States;”

    Seems to me that if you’re going to a state-owned university, than that would fulfill the “government I.D. issued by a State” option.

    P.s., where are you going? I live in MO and recently graduated with my Professional Pilot B.S. from UCM.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  5. chris on Jul 08, 2013

    how often do you nead to fly and how often is the renewable

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.