Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

6 Answers

MEL IPC Checkride

Asked by: 2455 views FAA Regulations

Let's rephrase my last question. Can a CFII give a MEL IPC (not instruction) in a MEL if he got his CFII in a SEL. I have a ATP/MEL  

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

6 Answers

  1. CFI Academy on Jun 30, 2013

    Still the same answer….if the PIC is under the hood, the safety pilot has to be multi engine rated. This is irrespective of whether he is a CFII or not.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Mark Kolber on Jun 30, 2013

    CFI Acedemy, he is muli-rated – ATP/MEL.

    That aside, it’s very clear that in order to perform any CFI services in a multi-engine airpane, the CFI must have a multi-engine rating on his CFI certificate as well as on his pilot certificate. See this FAA Chief Counsel interpretation as an example. http://goo.gl/5ZQ2d

    Some have certainly quibbled that, “well, an IPC isn’t training, so…” If one wants to split those types of hairs, go ahead. My bet is that the FAA wouldn’t in a certificate action against an instructor.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. Wes Beard on Jun 30, 2013


    Here is a scenario for you hoping to clarify and misunderstanding.

    A CFI applicant successfully passes the CFI-ASE practical test. This CFI can now teach private, commercial and ATP candidates for ASEL and ASES aircraft dependent on the rating on the instructors pilots license.

    This CFI passes the CFI-IA practical test in an ASE airplane. This instructor can now teach instrument students and the instrument training for commercial and ATP students in ASEL and ASES airplane.

    This CFI then passes the MEI or CFI-AME practical test. The instructor now has all the previous abilities with multi-engine airplanes.

    This CFI can give an IPC check in an AME airplane even though his CFII practical was in a ASEL aircraft. The instructor pilots and instructor license would require COMM/ATP AMEL and CFI-AME ratings.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  4. DeWitt Barker on Jun 30, 2013

    I still don’t think my question has been answered. Can a person with a CFII give a IPC (not instruction) in a MEL if the CFII only has a MEL not MEI. I know all about qualified observer pilot.

    As a footnote, I’m planning on taking my CFII and MEI in my Aztec on the same ride.
    I’m a retired airline pilot and have kids growing up who are ready for instrument & MEL training.
    All these years flying and I never got a CFII or MEI, didn’t need it.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  5. Wes Beard on Jun 30, 2013

    The answer is no. You need a category, class and instrument privileges on both your pilot and instructor certificate.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  6. Mark Kolber on Jul 01, 2013

    Maybe he just doesn’t like that answer?

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.