Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

7 Answers


Asked by: 3567 views General Aviation

Is there any reason that you can't take a CFII & MEI checkride at the same time? Also if you take the CFII in a single can you give Multiengine IPC? DeWitt

7 Answers

  1. Wes Beard on Jun 27, 2013

    The rules require you to have the category and class of aircraft on both your pilots license and instructor license.

    Once you get a CFII-Airplane and meet the above statement… You can give instrument training in either class of airplane. The airplane you received your CFII does not matter.

    Reference FAR 61.195(b)(c).

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. DeWitt Barker on Jun 27, 2013

    Is giving a IPC considered Flight Training?

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. Kris Kortokrax on Jun 27, 2013

    Good question. The IPC is a proficiency check conducted in accordance with the appropriate task table from the Instrument PTS. There is no requirement stated in the regulations for flight training to be conducted during an IPC as there is for a Flight Review. 61.195 only addresses “flight training”. I would say that logically, one could conduct an IPC with only a CFII.

    However, if you ask the question of the Legal Counsel’s office, you will likely get a response that you may not do the IPC. They have stated that you may not even give training in an FTD or Simulator.

    +2 Votes Thumb up 2 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  4. 0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  5. CFI Academy on Jun 28, 2013

    A CFII (assuming he does not hold a multi-engine rating at commercial level) is authorized to train others for IR irrespective of the class of airplane, however, if the PIC (the student flying the twin) is under the hood, then he needs to have a qualified safety pilot (i.e. a qualified multi engine pilot). In other words, the CFII can not teach in a ME airplane while the student flying is under the hood, unless the CFII holds an ME rating at least at private pilot level.
    I do not see this being applicable to simulator training under part 61 or 91, if the simulator is not type specific and the training is not type rating specific.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  6. Wes Beard on Jun 29, 2013

    CFI Academy,

    In late 2009 or early 2010 the FAA revised 61.195 to make it clear an instructor must have on his pilot and instructor certificates for the category and class airplane they are teaching in.

    In your example above, the instructor is required to have a commercial AMEL and instructor AME and IA ratings. A private AMEL rating will not work.

    This is also true while instructing in a FTD or simulator. You can lookup the Beard Interpretation on the Legal Interpretations section in the FAA website.

    +2 Votes Thumb up 2 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  7. Mark Kolber on Jun 30, 2013

    …and a link to the Chief Counsel’s discussion of the change Wes is referring to: http://goo.gl/5ZQ2d

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.