Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

2 Answers

Knowledge Tests.

Asked by: 2174 views , , , ,
FAA Regulations

If I pass the private pilot knowledge test, can I use it in place of the glider knowledge test? I still plan on getting my private license but am trying to save the cash on the knowledge tests.  I will probably finish the requirements for the glider license long before the private requirements.  Or should I just wait, finish the glider training, finish the SEL training and get the license, then add the glider on later.

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Dauntless Aviation's GroundSchool series of apps are the smart pilot's choice for fast and effective FAA knowledge test prep.
Actual, up-to-date FAA questions Polished user experience
Best explanations in the business Free lifetime updates!
Private Pilot IFR Commercial Pilot CFI ATP Sport Pilot Sport Pilot Instructor Parachute Rigger Aviation Mechanic (A&P)
You can get the app now and be studying right away. Available for PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android.

2 Answers

  1. Mitchell L Williams on Jun 27, 2013

    While it sounds like a good idea, FAA does not allow substituting knowledge tests between aircraft categories. So, you either need to finish the Private Pilot Airplane Training or take the Glider knowledge test.

    We had a customer who came to us to get his sport pilot airplane. He had completed all requirements for powered parachute, and total his power parachute on his check ride; hasn’t repaired it yet, and wanted to finish with airplane. His sport powered parachute written did not meet the requirements for sport pilot airplane, and he had to take the sport airplane knowledge test.


    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. CFI Academy on Jun 28, 2013

    If you take the private pilot knowledge test, and then continue on getting your private pilot airplane certificate, and then come back to add glider category, you would not need to take the glider knowledge test. substitution is not authorized even within the category/class. For example, you can not simply take the commercial knowledge test and use it to obtain your private pilot certificate. This procedure is authorized in most rest of the world though – for example in Europe (JAA/CAA).

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.