Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

2 Answers

Part 141 vs part 61

Asked by: 2341 views , ,
FAA Regulations, General Aviation, Student Pilot

If a student completes their Private Pilot using Part 61, can they do subsequent ratings (Instrument, Commercial) using Part 141 or does all of their training need to be 141?  Is the answer referenced in a FAR?

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

2 Answers

  1. Aaron on May 28, 2013

    Each rating is its own separate achievment, and you can do it under whichever rules you want. I did my private and instrument part 141, and my commercial 61. if you find a 141 school to do your instrument, and want to do it there, nothing would forbid that.

    +1 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. lo_fly on May 29, 2013

    What i usually recommend is:

    Part 141 for the Private, very structured and easy to follow for a non-experienced student. The course also has stage checks that help the student flying and being evaluated by a third person other than his instructor;

    Part 61 for the Instrument (part 141 Instrument training program too “slow”);

    Part 61 for the commercial (part 141 CPL needs 55 hours of instruction).


    +1 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.