Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

2 Answers

25nm solo flight to another airport endorsement

Asked by: 3472 views , , ,
FAA Regulations, Flight Instructor, General Aviation, Student Pilot

Hi, I'm studying for my CFI ticket.


Comcerning If I give a student a solo endorsement to another airport within 25nm found in 61.93:


1) The FARs seem kind of ambiguous, is this a one time endorsement, or do they need another endorsement every time they are planning on making that flight? Would the repeated 50nm x-country endorsement be necessary in this case?

2) Does the student also need the student pilot certificate endorsement and initial cross country endorsement for the 25nm one to be valid? Or does the student only need the 61.87 endorsements?




Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

2 Answers

  1. Best Answer

    ccwebb on May 02, 2013

    61.93 is a confusing regulation to read sometimes. It is titled “Solo cross-country flight requirements.”, however it talks about flights that are not cross countries as well.

    I like to refer to 61.93(b)(1) and (2) as “Local Area Solo”, tends to make things more organized when cross country solo (c) comes into play.

    Both (b)(1) and (b)(2) have nearly identical requirements… translated they say:

    1) …within 25 NM or 50 NM of home airport (keep in mind that is two different endorsements.)
    2)…training includes flight in both directions over the route, entering and exiting the traffic pattern, and takeoffs and landings at the other airport (VERY IMPORTANT STEP! Often overlooked)
    3) CFI who gave the training endorses the student pilot’s logbook authorizing the flight;
    4) The student pilot has a supervised solo flight endorsement already (61.87)

    Both are one-time endorsements and are valid as long as the students original 90-Day endorsement is current. 61.93(b)(2) allows a ‘local solo’ to occur if the next closest airport is further than 25 nm but closer than 50 nm. They allow multiple flights between those two specific airports only, without additional endorsements.

    Once you get past 50 NM, the flight is considered a cross country and 3 more endorsements are needed then, with one of those needing to be rewritten on each cross country.

    I hope that helps.

    +2 Votes Thumb up 3 Votes Thumb down 1 Votes

  2. Jared J on May 02, 2013

    awesome, thank you so much! Helps a ton.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.