Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

2 Answers

Loggin PIC time

Asked by: 3219 views , , , , ,
FAA Regulations



How do you log PICUS (PIC under seupervision) on your logbook is it the same as PIC and DUAL and can you cant PICUS toward your ATP license?

Flying with a training captain and not a CFI and the airplane does not require SIC so your not logging SIC time.


Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

2 Answers

  1. Wes Beard on Apr 30, 2013

    If the aircraft you are flying is not type certificated for two pilots then you can only log the time you are the sole manipulator of the controls provided you are appropriately rated.

    If the training flight is 1.0 hrs in duration and each pilot flies for 0.5hrs. Each pilot will only log 0.5 hrs of PIC, total time, etcetera. 1.0 hrs should not be anywhere in the logbook except maybe in the comments/note section to clarify the time. See FAR 61.51 for reference.

    Dual received is only for a flight instructor.

    This answer is for Part 91 operations only. Part 135 operations have different rules.

    +1 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Kris Kortokrax on Apr 30, 2013

    There is no such thing as PICUS.

    There is a provision in 61.51(e)(iv) for logging PIC while under the supervision of a qualified PIC. There are several conditions which must be met. You need to already have at least a Commercial pilot certificate with appropriate category & class. You also need to be undergoing an approved PIC training program. Training programs are approved for air carriers, not Part 61 or 141 schools. In order to take advantage of this option, you would need to be an employee of the air carrier.

    +4 Votes Thumb up 5 Votes Thumb down 1 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.