Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

2 Answers

Do hours flown in an another country count for aeronautical experience requirements?

Asked by: 2803 views , , , ,
General Aviation

I have a student who has a CFI (JAA) license, he got his PPL FAA from the FSDO and now he wants to get a CPL FAA. I was wondering if his European aeronautical experience is valid for a CPL FAA eligibility?

If so, does his IR JAA count for the instrument experience required for the CPL FAA 61.129(a)(3)(i)?

Basically: I'm not CFI-I, can i train him for his CPL FAA?

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

2 Answers

  1. Kris Kortokrax on Apr 26, 2013

    Yes, his instruction and hours count. See 61.41
    Without the CFII, you cannot give him the instrument training for Commercial. You can do everything else.

    By everything else, you may only need to satisfy the prep for the checkride. Look at his logbook to see if he has had instruction in all the required areas described in 61.129.

    +5 Votes Thumb up 6 Votes Thumb down 1 Votes

  2. lo_fly on Apr 26, 2013

    I know i can’t give the instrument training required for a commercial license but he holds an European IR so he has plenty of intrument hours flown during his training back home so if they count he already meet the requirement and i can train him even i’m not CFI-I, correct?

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.