Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

2 Answers

Safety pilot

Asked by: 1880 views Instrument Rating

I am working on getting my instrument rating. Can I log as instrument time, toward the 40 hour requirement, left seat while being sole operator of controls in actual IMC if safety pilot is instrument rated (But not a CFII)?

2 Answers

  1. Brent on Apr 22, 2013

    Yes. 61.65(d)(2) lays out that only 15 of the 40 hours actual or simulated instrument has to be dual instruction from a CFII. That leaves up to 25 hours of instrument time you can earn with a safety pilot. Your safety pilot would have to be current, in every relevant sense (day/night, instrument, FR, medical…), in order to be the acting pilot command in instrument conditions.

    You didn’t ask, but if you are rated for the aircraft and the sole manipulator of the controls, you could also *log* PIC time and XC time (if applicable).

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Mark Kolber on Apr 22, 2013


    Just a definitional fyi: In the regs, a “safety pilot” is a pilot who acts as the flying pilot’s eyes when the flying pilot is under the hood. If you’re in actual you’re probably not also under the hood, so the other pilot, technically speaking, isn’t a “safety pilot.”

    That piece of clarification aside, one may log instrument time under 61.51(g) whenever that person “operates the aircraft solely by reference to instruments under actual or simulated instrument flight conditions.” Period. No further restriction in the reg in terms of who is or who is not there. In fact, the only two places I can recall where a CFI is required in order to log something are flight training (in 61.51) and 61.57 currency when a simulator or device is used.

    As was discussed in response to another question, that flight time is also logable by you as PIC.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.