Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

4 Answers

Instrument Training Cross Country

Asked by: 1909 views Instrument Rating

I am about to do my training instrument cross country flight and i was wondrering if i have to do it with i CFI or wether i could do it with a licensed instrument pilot as a supervisor, i ask because the aircraft that i own is set up for IFR flight and i am flying cross country flight in the next few days that would meet the requirements for the instrument cross country and if i could do it with a licensed insrtument/commercial pilot as a supervisor it would make it a lot cheaper for me. 

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

4 Answers

  1. Cory Johnson on Apr 10, 2013

    FAA 61.109 is pretty clear on this topic:

    You need at least 20 hours of flight training with an instructor on the Private Pilot areas of operation that includes:
    3 hours of cross-country flight training in a single engine airplane;

    That means the flight only will count towards the rating if it is flown with a CFII onboard.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Lucas on Apr 11, 2013

    Dear Harry

    If you are referring to the instrument rating requirements then the FAR for you is 61.65, and if that is the case your X-C flying would count towards the 50 Hrs of X-C that you need to be eligible to take the check ride, but not towards the long 250 NM IFR X-C as that one needs to be conducted with an instructor on board, as mentioned again in FAR 61.65


    +2 Votes Thumb up 2 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. Jim Post on Apr 11, 2013

    Keep in mind that only Certificated Flight Instructors can conduct flight training and a safety pilot (that is not a CFI) can not instruct you. You do need 50 hours of X-C PIC time and 40 hours of actual or simu;ated instrument time, of which, 15 must be with a instrument-airplane rated instructor (CFII), the other 25 hours may be with a CFI.

    -1 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 2 Votes

  4. Wes Beard on Apr 12, 2013

    You are correct that 15 hours must be with a CFII. The other 25 hours can be with a safety pilot.

    The regulation doesn’t say that all 40 hours of actual or simulated time must be with an instructor.

    +2 Votes Thumb up 2 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.