Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

3 Answers

Change of Address

Asked by: 2915 views ,
FAA Regulations

Gas anyone had experience with changing address through faa.gov?

I changed my address on the website and it said it was successful, but mentioned nothing about sending me a new license. it was my understanding that they would send me a new one and have me print a temp. It seems foggy if I changed it in the right place, under 'account>update address'' rather than 'certificates'. There is not an option to change it online under the certificates section once logged in, though it says an address change can be done online when viewing the main airman's page.

any help would be nice, otherwise ill just go on hold over the phone for a few hours so entire soon.


to complicate the process, I do not have a plastic license on me, since I recently got commercial, and it doesn't appear to have arrived at the prior address either. 


Am I allowed to fly with my temporary paper examiners ticket, even if it has the wrong address, and should I expect to have a plastic card mailed to my new address with the correct address on it?

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

3 Answers

  1. Matthew Waugh on Apr 07, 2013

    Well you have multiple actions in motion. For just a change of address you will not get a new certificate.
    Now if your change of address was processed before your new plastic certificate is issued then I would expect your new certificate to have your new address, otherwise it won’t.
    As long as you have notified the FAA of your change of address, as you have, then you can fly with your existing temp certificate.
    The requirement is to notify the FAA – you are not required to have the correct address on your certificate.
    If you want the right address in your certificate, wait until everything settles down and the pay the fee for a “duplicate” which will have all the right data on it.

    +3 Votes Thumb up 3 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Mark Kolber on Apr 07, 2013

    <> Definitely. I didn’t wait – changed my address and immediately requested a new certificate. Got one with my old address.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. Chris Carlson on Apr 07, 2013

    Thank you, Mathew- just the answer I was looking for. Mark- I will wait until the dust settles before I request a new one, thanks.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.