Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

3 Answers

Recording of hour in my log book

Asked by: 1881 views Student Pilot

When I training with CFI, and I have the control of the aircraft, do i record my hours as PIC or are they recorded as Duel?

Ed rebholz

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

3 Answers



  1. Ron Klutts on Mar 28, 2013

    It depends on you at the moment. FAR 61.51(e) says you can log PIC for an aircraft you are rated for. So if your a student pilot then you can only log dual with a CFI. Pic time when you are solo, along with the solo category. if your a private pilot or higher than you can log dual flights as PIC for the time you were manipulating the controls.

    +1 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes



  2. Mark Kolber on Mar 28, 2013

    Adding to what Ron said, as a student pilot, “PIC” essentially means solo and when with an instructor you log only Dual.

    After you get a non-student pilot certificate, “PIC” and “Dual” aren’t mutually exclusive. For example, a private pilot with a single-engine land rating taking a lesson in a single engine land airplane may log both Dual and PIC (and anything else applicable to that flight.

    Ron mentioned 61.51 – think of it as the “Universal Rule of Logging Flight Time.” More than 90% of the time, the answer is there. For most of the other <10%, reading 61.51, most of it is there and the reg will tell you what other information you need for the full answer. If you start anywhere else, with a few noteworthy exceptions, it's a mistake.

    +1 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes



  3. Ron on Mar 29, 2013

    Dual if student pilot

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes


The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.