Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

3 Answers

Can a non US citizen become a CFI?

Asked by: 3601 views FAA Regulations, Flight Instructor

I am not an US citizen, but i am on my way to get my commercial pilot license in the states. I am here for my work from my country, doing the pilot stuff part time. I like this place and thought of immigranting here for good. But i need to find a source of income legally. So I am wondering is it possible for me to take up CFI as an occupation as an alien? Build time and get some income. Hope i could get some answers here. Appreciate you guys~

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

3 Answers

  1. John D. Collins on Mar 06, 2013

    The FAA doesn’t have a requirement that a CFI be a citizen. See http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgFAR.nsf/0/DE50DEF0C265438E8625768F005C3A9F?OpenDocument

    I don’t know the immigration requirements to be authorized to work in the US. Your current Visa must include some type of work permit, but you should discuss any limitations with your employer or the US Immigration Service.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Carl Tyler on Mar 06, 2013

    Your FAA certification and rights to work in America are two different things.

    Because you become a CFI does not mean you can be a CFI that charges in the US.

    If you have a greencard (Permanent residency) you an do pretty much any job.

    If you have a H1B Visa, you can basically work for the employer that bought you over, the same goes for L, E and O visas.

    If you’re on a visitors visa, you cannot work period. If you are caught working, it will make it very hard for you to get a work visa in the future.

    What kind of visa do you have?

    +2 Votes Thumb up 2 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. wind on Mar 08, 2013

    Thanks John. That’s exactly what my instructor told me to refer to as well. It’s more like what Carl is saying. Becoming a CFI doesn’t mean I can work as a CFI.
    Appreciate the info. I’m here from my company, you can call it an overseas attachment. I’m not sure what visa I need for such attachment, but I’m definitely legal for now.
    I dont think flight school would go through the hassle to hire a alien as a CFI. Am I right? There are so many CFI around. What do you think I can do, to make them do lesser and consider bringing me over with working visas?

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.