Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

5 Answers

Can i do course for FI directly after i finished PPL course

Asked by: 3153 views , , ,
Flight Instructor, General Aviation, Light Sport Aircraft, Private Pilot

My question is:

1- can i do course for  flight instructor - directly after finishing my PPL COURSE-because I found a school offering training course flight instructor after the completion of the PPL-Can it Do ? 

 2-after getting flight instructor  licnes can i the in academies or flying schooles or -FTO ?Is it possible to work flight instructor  for sport pilot or for UL pilot?

     Thanks for the help

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

5 Answers

  1. Nikhil Singh on Mar 02, 2013

    No, you cannot become a flight instructor after completing PPL. The maximum you can do is a basic to Ground Instructor which in my view wouldn’t make sense because most of the flight schools expect experienced pilots to take over the ground school.
    Moreover , rule of thumb. Your flight instructor license is not valid until the flight instructor has his/her commercial pilot license in possession and still valid.

    +2 Votes Thumb up 2 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. John D. Collins on Mar 02, 2013


    Sec. 61.183

    Eligibility requirements.

    To be eligible for a flight instructor certificate or rating a person must:
    (a) Be at least 18 years of age;
    (b) Be able to read, speak, write, and understand the English language. If the applicant is unable to meet one of these requirements due to medical reasons, then the Administrator may place such operating limitations on that applicant’s flight instructor certificate as are necessary;
    (c) Hold either a commercial pilot certificate or airline transport pilot certificate with:
    (1) An aircraft category and class rating that is appropriate to the flight instructor rating sought; and
    (2) An instrument rating or privileges on that person’s pilot certificate that is appropriate to the flight instructor rating sought, if applying for–
    (i) A flight instructor certificate with an airplane category and single-engine class rating;
    (ii) A flight instructor certificate with an airplane category and multiengine class rating;
    (iii) A flight instructor certificate with a powered-lift rating; or
    (iv) A flight instructor certificate with an instrument rating.

    +3 Votes Thumb up 3 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. lo_fly on Mar 02, 2013

    Probably the school will make you start your training for CFI after the PPL so you will get used to the right seat from the beginning, obviously you will have to complete your CPL and IR before taking the CFI checkride.

    +1 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  4. Best Answer

    Kris Kortokrax on Mar 02, 2013


    He most certainly can become a Flight Instructor with only a Private Pilot certificate. The only catch is the only rating that can be listed on his certificate is Sport.

    61.403 lists requirements for Sport Pilot instructor. Minimum certificate is a Sport Pilot certificate.

    +8 Votes Thumb up 8 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  5. Mark Kolber on Mar 03, 2013

    If the question is “can I start training (‘do the course’) for the CFI certificate immediately after the private?” of course you can. It’s the checkride and obtaining the certificate itself that requires an existing commercial certificate and instrument rating.

    It’s not uncommon for people to train for both the instrument rating and commercial certificate at the same time; nor is it uncommon for people to train for the commercial and CFI at the same time.

    I’d look closely at the advertised training course, though. If it is geared toward private pilots who just received their certificates, it should include the instrument rating, commercial certificate and the CFI certificate. And I’d look extra closely at the fine print of a course that was asking me to commit to them for all three.

    +1 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.