Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

6 Answers

ATP Pending certificate

Asked by: 2835 views ,
FAA Regulations

Hi all,

I just goy my ATP check ride, everithing was great (and hard)

I have a question... because my pending certificte, on "rating" box, just says "AIRPLANE MULTIENGINE LAND" and dont says anything about "Commercial priviligies"

I know that requirements to obtain an ATP license is to have a Commercial Certificate and IFR rating, but... I dont know if it is neccesary to be all written on the ATP certificate or not...

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

6 Answers

  1. John D. Collins on Feb 21, 2013

    If you previously had ratings for other classes, such as single engine land, you will want those to be indicated on your new certificate. If all you had previously was Commercial Pilot, Multi-Engine Land, Instrument Airplane, the new ATP rating will cover those privileges. But if your previous Commercial Pilot’s certificate included single engine land, instrument airplane, you will still need the single engine land commercial privilege as the ATP you described doesn’t cover it.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Javier on Feb 21, 2013

    Thanks for your quick answer, John. I understand everything you said, but my situation is a little different than standard.

    Before the ATP i had FAA private single and multiengine land with NO IFR. And that private license was issued on basis of my Commercial certificate (IFR, Multiengine and a type rating) from another country.

    I know that the Type rating will not be on my FAA license, but, again mu question, Is my IFR rating on my ATP?

    I did a lot of instrument approaches on my training and on my check ride, so I understand I’m full instrument rated!

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. Wes Beard on Feb 21, 2013


    This is now the case for you. You will have a private ASEL certificate issued on the basis of your ICAO country.

    You will also have a separate ATP license with AMEL rating that is fully qualified with instrument privileges. Any type ratings issued on your foreign license will not automatically convert to your ATP license. To get those ratings on your US ATP license, you will have to pass the ATP/ type rating practical test.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  4. Javier on Feb 21, 2013

    Thanks Wes, and also I have commercial privileges even if it is not printed on my pending ATP Licenses, right?

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  5. Wes Beard on Feb 21, 2013

    ATP privileges are higher than commercial privileges. So, if you have ATP privileges it is implied that you also have commercial privileges.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  6. Javier on Feb 21, 2013

    Thanks Wes!! What a great forum here full of expert minds! Will keep it on Favorites!

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.