Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

7 Answers

repeated flights greater than 25nm

Asked by: 2713 views FAA Regulations

I've got a student training in his own aircraft based at an airport 38nm from me. He is ready to solo but do I need to see him solo at his home airport as well as mine and do I treat each flight from his airport to mine as a xc since its greater than 25nm miles even though it wont count as student xc.


Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

7 Answers

  1. Wes Beard on Feb 17, 2013

    As a CFI you need to know the rules. Since the distance is greater than 25NM you have to go over his flightplan and check weather and everything else that goes into signing his logbook before he makes the flight.

    The general counsel has stated in their legal opinions that your XC cannot be given days before the flight. The instructor is responsible for checking the weather expected for the flight before the endorsement is given.

    Your only option would be to drive to where his plane is to sign the logbook. If your going to do that tyen you might as well just train him there at his airport.

    0 Votes Thumb up 2 Votes Thumb down 2 Votes

  2. Ryan on Feb 17, 2013

    You don’t have to drive there every time. You can fax, email, or even take a picture of the endorsement and text it to him so he has it and them add it to his logbook when you meet him. Just like if he got stuck at another airport on a solo xc.

    -1 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 1 Votes

  3. Gregg Heath on Feb 17, 2013

    Thanks for both your answers despite the snarky tone of Wes’s. According to 61.93{b}{2}{IV}, repeated xc flights from an airport less than 50 miles do not require an endorsement for each flight once the requirements of paragraph {c} have been fulfilled.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  4. Matthew Waugh on Feb 17, 2013

    No – you do not need to see them solo at the “home” airport. Generally speaking the endorsement for solo flight does not include an airport, solo is solo.

    As you’re probably aware, you need to have given the pilot training over the route to be flown, and presumably that includes operations at the appropriate airports – so that should be sufficient.

    I’m not sure what you mean by “treat each flight from his airport to mine as a xc” – yes, it’s a cross-country flight, how could you not treat it as a cross-country flight, but you seem to be implying that there is more to the concept – please expand on your question if so.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  5. Gregg Heath on Feb 18, 2013

    By “treating it as a xc” I was referring to the need for a seperate endorsement for each flight. The far section I referenced above answers the question.


    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  6. Mark Kolber on Feb 18, 2013

    Gregg, you’re not alone in raising this question regarding the endorsements required for the repeated cross country lights less than 50 NM. Your reading of 61.93(b)(2) is correct.

    You =do= need the “per flight” (my term, not the FAA’s) cross country endorsement for the first of these flights, but =do not= need to do so for each flight after giving the “repeated flight” endorsement.

    Here’s the link to the Chief Counsel’s 2012 opinion lettter: http://goo.gl/GuepY

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  7. Brian on Feb 18, 2013

    It sounds like some here are confused with the endorsement. Under 25 NM you only need to sign off to specific airports you’ve given training. Greater than 25 NM, but not more than 50 NM you need this:

    8. Repeated solo cross-country flights not more than 50 nm from the point of departure: section 61.93(b)(2).

    I certify that (First name, MI, Last name) has received the required training in both directions between and at both (airport names). I have determined that he/she is proficient of section 61.93(b)(2) to conduct repeated solo cross-country flights over that route, subject to the following conditions: (List any applicable conditions or limitations.)

    /s/ [date] J. J. Jones 987654321CFI Exp. 12-31-05

    Source: http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/list/AC%2061-65E/$FILE/AC61-65E.pdf

    You should ensure you’ve given training at both his airport and yours, but once you’ve done that you will be just fine.

    PS 61-65 is an advisory circular that should exist in every instructors binder.

    +4 Votes Thumb up 4 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.