Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

2 Answers

Ratings needed

Asked by: 1620 views Commercial Pilot, Private Pilot

I am currently looking into schools to become a private pilot.  While talking to others I learned that with just a private IFR rating if a friend of mine wanted me to take him somewhere he could not pay me only split the costs.  What ratings do I need so that someone could pay for the entire cost of the plane rental and fuel?

Is it just a commercial license or is it a commercial license with an additional rating? 

Just need to know what exactly I need to sign up for so I can get a good cost amount with one of my local schools.


Thank you,


Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

2 Answers

  1. Jacob Gardner on Feb 07, 2013

    A good rule of thumb to follow in aviation, after you have obtained your ASEL Commercial Pilot Certificate, is that the plane and the pilot can not come from the same place. There is and Advisory Circular that relates to what is legal and what is not legal for the carriage of persons or property from place to place for compensation or hire. However this AC is very vague, so a list of operations can be found in 14 CFR part 119 of the FAR/AIM. This is just off of the top of my head. As for flight schools, you can do this two ways, part 61 or part 141. The difference between the two is that a 141 school is a certificated flight school defined under 14 cfr part 141 of the FAR aim. For example a part 141 school is Embry Riddle in Daytona Beach, Fl or Delta State University in Cleveland, ms. Part 61 operations are found at most local airports where there is a local CFI((such as myself). The difference between the two is one requires a college degree(141). To find schools near you AOPA.com has a great website that you can navigate through with the search bar. Let me know if you have any further questions.

    Jacob Gardner
    Instrument Rated
    Commercial (ASEL,AMEL)

    -4 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 4 Votes

  2. Jim F. on Feb 07, 2013

    With your example, the only way your friend could pay you to fly him somewhere, is if you had a commercial certificate AND he provided you with the aircraft. If you provide the aircraft, whether one you owned or one you rented, you would then need an operating certificate, such as with an airline.

    +1 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.