Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

3 Answers

Can a CFI (not CFII) endorse instrument students?

Asked by: 1472 views , ,
FAA Regulations, Flight Instructor, Instrument Rating

Hi guys, thanks up front for any thoughts help on this:

According to 61.193 a flight instructor can train & issue endorsements, including those required for an instrument rating. I know you can not flight train students for instrument rating or conduct an IPC unless you have a CFII rating in relevent category & class, but I can't find any clear FAR to say you can't give out instrument endorsements unless you have a CFII.

Please reference relevent FARs in your answer - many thanks,


3 Answers

  1. Mark Kolber on Jan 02, 2013

    Read 61.193 instead of paraphrasing:

    ยง 61.193 Flight instructor privileges.

    A person who holds a flight instructor certificate is authorized*** within the limitations of that person’s flight instructor certificate and ratings*** to train and issue endorsements that are required for:

    A CFI without an instrument airplane rating on his instructor certificate does not have the required rating to provide instrument training an endorsements.

    I alas thought was pretty clear for the language of the reg but you’re not the only one who has read some exception for instrument training into ti. There have apparently been enough questions that the FAA Chief Counsel issued what comes down to “yep, that’s what it says” interpretations in 2011: http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/agc/pol_adjudication/agc200/interpretations/data/interps/2011/Scholz.pdf

    It seemed to follow up a bit on the earlier 2010 interpretive letter dealing with “one Is” giving any kind of instrument instruction at all: http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/agc/pol_adjudication/agc200/interpretations/data/interps/2010/Grayson-3.pdf

    +2 Votes Thumb up 2 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Jay Bunning on Jan 03, 2013

    Mark, yes I did read the whole regulation and note that bit highlighted with *** but what I was hoping for was some other regulation that would refer to the limitations it is talking about to say CFII is required for instrument endorsements.

    Thanks for the links.


    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. Wes Beard on Jan 03, 2013

    See 61.65(d)(2). The regulation states “from an authorized instructor who holds an instrument-airplane rating”.

    Although you probably already know but an instrument ground instructor can endorse instrument knowledge tests for any category aircraft.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

Answer Question