Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

2 Answers

The psych exam for pilots with adhd

Asked by: 3881 views , ,
FAA Regulations, Student Pilot

I was a student pilot at a flight school in NJ in the fall of last year and the FAA sent me a letter saying I couldn't hold an airmen certificate afer I already logged around 15 hours of flight time before they grounded me. It seemed pretty illogical but anyway where I stand as of now is I need to get some psychological testing done (I was told it would be about $2K+) cause I was daignosed with adhd as a young kid and ive been off meds for over 2.5 years. As of right now I technically qualify as "allowed to fly" cause im not on any drugs and I passed a class 3 aviaton exam done by an AME about a year ago before the FAA requested that I had to send it back to them. I honestly don't understand under what circumstances they would ground me and request my medical back after I was already about half way through the training. The whole situation seems a bit biased and unfair, but If anyone can give me a little detail into what the psych exam entails for pilots who have had adhd that would be helpful so I can just get this testing done already, shut them up, and return to the skies again.

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

2 Answers

  1. John D. Collins on Nov 07, 2012

    I recommend you discuss your situation with Dr. Bruce Chien. He is an expert, a Senior AME, and only deals with difficult cases. Call him at 309-689-5242 or email him at bbchien@comcast.net . His website is http://home.comcast.net/~bbchien/site/

    He will give you advice and if you wish, he will manage your case. I highly recommend him.

    +2 Votes Thumb up 2 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Grant Prellwitz on Nov 07, 2012

    John is spot on. Dr. Chien is the person to contact to find out what precisely you need to obtain for the FAA to allow you a medical certification.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.