Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

Hello CFI/s.

Im a FAA commercial multi instrument pilot. I recently been hired for a job as SIC on a private plane AC90 Aerocommander 690B. The owner wants me to be a SIC on the aircraft.

My question is. Since is a part 91 aircraft(only private operation) If follow the FAR 61.55 requirements for SIC ratings will be enought to be able to log SIC time? With the 3 takeoff and 3 landings and ground time on systems, engine, landing gear, etc? Or do a i need more training?.And then present the 870 form personally in the FSDO. (since i live in Venezuela)

Since i think the aerocommander 690B can be flown with one pilot. Can i log SIC time?

The training is going to be given by a qualify PIC pilot. Is that enought for an endorsment?

The maximun altitude is 31.000ft do i need a High Altitude endorsment? Can the PIC give it to me?

The aerocommander690B is a jetprop aircraft, maximun weight is 10500lbs. Do i need High performance endorsment? Can it be given by the Aerocommander PIC?

Can i have endorsment from another CFI from another country NOT FAA to work as a endorsment?

Thank you very much for your help!

Very much needed.

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

2 Answers

  1. Wes Beard on Oct 31, 2012

    The first question that you need to ask yourself is whether or not a SIC is required by the type certificate data sheet (TCDS). If you take a look at that document, you will see that a SIC is not required for the Aerocommander 690B aircraft. Click link below to search for yourself.


    To answer your question, you cannot log anytime on the aircraft unless the regulations require a second pilot. In your case, that you limit you to logging time when acting as a safety pilot for the PIC to accomplish his instrument currency.

    The endorsements you are speaking of to be eligible on your US FAA license must be given by a US flight instructor. They are also only required for the PIC and not any secondary pilots. If the aircraft required a SIC (it doesn’t), you are not required to have a high performance endorsement or a high altitude endorsement. If the PIC is flying under their US FAA license, they are required to have those endorsements.

    No need to fill out an 8710 and bring to the FSDO… they won’t be able to give you an SIC type rating.

    On an aside note, I think it is wise of you to get training on the aircraft systems and fly a little on training flights. It really is extra insurance in case the PIC gets food poisoning or something during the flight. You should know what you are doing.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Sam Dawson on Oct 31, 2012

    One correction to the above. While you may not act as PIC unless you fulfill the endorsement requirements you may log PIC time when you are the sole manipulator of the controls since you do have a MEL rating and this aircraft does not require a type rating. Remember, the FAA distinguishes between “logging” and “acting” as PIC. Also, any time there is an MEI in the other seat and you are the sole manipulator of the controls you may both log PIC time, though the MEI would need to endorse your log book for this to be legal.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.