Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

2 Answers

I am a CFI in one type of A/C and I change the type to other A/C

Asked by: 3050 views , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
FAA Regulations, Flight Instructor, General Aviation, Helicopter

I am a CFI in one type of A/C and I change the type to other A/C

I canbe a CFI FOR NEW aircraft 


Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

2 Answers

  1. Wes Beard on Sep 17, 2012

    In the United States, you can be a flight instructor in any aircraft for which you are rated on both your pilot certificate and flight instructor certificate. See FAR §61.5 for ratings that can be placed onto your pilot and flight instructor certificates.

    For example, your pilot certificate might say you are a commercial pilot with commercial ratings of airplane single engine land and your CFI certifcate might have ratings of airplane single engine.

    In this configuration, you can instruct in any single engine land aircraft that is not jet powered or weighing more than 12,500 pounds (these aircraft require a type rating). You can also instruct in aircraft that require special endorsements like high performance or complex although you cannot act as the legal pilot in command.

    Another example, your pilot certificate might say you are a commercial pilot with commercial ratings of airplane multi engine land and sea with a type rating in a B-737. Your flight instructor certificate might have ratings for airplane multi-engine.

    In this second configuration, you can teach in any multi-engine airplane that is not jet powered or weighing more than 12,5000 pounds as well the the Boeing 737 aircraft (because you have the type rating on your pilot certificate). You cannot teach in any single engine aircraft.

    With all that said, that is the regulations. Insurance requirements are always more stringent. Even though it may be legal, insurance may not cover you if you have an incident or accident.

    +1 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Alex Clark on Sep 23, 2012

    You must also have at leat 15 hours of PIC time in the class and category of the aircraft in which you are instructing.

    +1 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.