Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

9 Answers

FAA CFI performing Flight Review/IPC in non-N registered airplane

Asked by: 3948 views , , ,
FAA Regulations, Flight Instructor

Hi all!

After working a couple of years as a Commercial pilot and a Flight Instructor in the US, I moved over the pond to Europe.

Hangin around my local flying club over here, upon hearing I'm an FAA CFI/CFII, I have people approach me asking if Im able to perform Flight Reviews or Intrument Proficiency Checks on their FAA license obtained in the US.

My question to you guys is if I can legally do this in a European registered airplane, flying in European airspace?

Ive looked for an answer elsewhere on the internet including the FAA.gov, but I have yet to find anything answering my question specifically.

The FARs only make mention of being an authorized instructor which I am as far as the FAA regs goes.

Im also a holder of EASA/JAR-FCL (equivalent of the FAA) Commercial with Instrument rating on multi- and single engine land. I do not however hold a european flight instructor certificate. The flight could not be considered an instructional flight in the EASA sence, as the training in question is not part of any EASA syllabus and concerns an FAA issued certificate.

Any insight, or even better, official documentation would be greatly appreciated.


On a second note.

The before mentioned CFI/I/MEI ticket is expiring later this summer and Im looking for preferably an online course to renew. any recommendations?


thanks alot.


Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

9 Answers

  1. Kris Kortokrax on Apr 02, 2012

    I see nothing in 61.195 that would preclude the operation you propose.  You apparently possess the appropriate certificate to act as pilot in command of the European registered aircraft (assuming that you might need to assume that role).
    This is my opinion only.  If you desire an official legal interpretation, you will need to query the Office of Legal Counsel.
    I have no experience with online courses.

    +5 Votes Thumb up 5 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Earl Kessler on Apr 02, 2012

    I have used the online course for Flight Instructor Refresher Clinic (FIRC) given by americanflyers.net . Interestingly enough, you pay a fee once and get FIRC for life.  What you miss from a classroom course is interaction with other active instructors.

    +1 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. Bill Trussell on Apr 03, 2012

    I have used the on line renewal course offered by Jeppesen almost since its inception and would recommend it for consideration also.  The disadvantage is the fee is recurring every year.

    +1 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  4. MaggotCFII on Apr 06, 2012

    Take a look at this LOI, adds some info towards your question.
    91.409 Inspections.  Since you are in a club environment, one could debate that 100 hour inspections are needed.
    Further suggest a review of the appropriate regs in the foreign jurisdiction and as Kris suggests request an LOI.

    +1 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  5. Kris Kortokrax on Apr 06, 2012

    I doubt that you can make the case that 91.409 applies to a foreign registered airplane.
    Further, if it were a US registered airplane and owned by a club (of which CFI and pilot are members), then the CFI is not providing the airplane and it would not be required to have a 100 hour inspection.

    +3 Votes Thumb up 3 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  6. Julio on Apr 22, 2012

    you cannot act as PIC of an aircraft that is not us registered unless you got the conversion of the licence to the pertinent authority

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  7. Arne on Apr 22, 2012

    Actually JAR allows room for exercising Private privileges for a 12 calendar month period before obtaining jaa certs.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  8. CW4 Franklin Diaz-Martinez (USA Ret) on May 18, 2012

    Take a look at 61.199.  Since your certificate is expired you will not be able to renew it online.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  9. Arne on May 19, 2012

    Doesn’t expire until end of july. Currently working my way through the Jepps course.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.