Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

1 Answers

Comm Instr RW to ASEL Private Medical Cert

Asked by: 2821 views , , , ,
FAA Regulations, Private Pilot, Student Pilot

I have a current 3rd class med cert and am being told I need to go buy a student pilot cert. Does anyone know if that is a waste of money, shouldn't my endorsement for solo be annotated in my logbook instead of the back of the medical cert. since I already have Comm/Instrument Helicopter FAA License, current medical cert. and a logbook? Thanks for any help with this. 

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

1 Answers

  1. Nathan Parker on Jan 25, 2012

    You are correct.   You will never be a Student Pilot again, as far as the FAA is concerned.  If you want to solo an airplane, you need an endorsement to act as pilot in command for a category in which you are not rated, as stated in 61.31(d):
    d) Aircraft category, class, and type ratings: Limitations on operating an aircraft as the pilot in command. To serve as the pilot in command of an aircraft, a person must—
    (1) Hold the appropriate category, class, and type rating (if a class or type rating is required) for the aircraft to be flown; or
    (2) Have received training required by this part that is appropriate to the pilot certification level, aircraft category, class, and type rating (if a class or type rating is required) for the aircraft to be flown, and have received an endorsement for solo flight in that aircraft from an authorized instructor.

    +5 Votes Thumb up 5 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.