Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

5 Answers

What does the 2 hours mean for the 2 dual cross country commercial requirements

Asked by: 4398 views
Commercial Pilot, General Aviation

FAR 61.129(a)(3)(iii) and (iv) say "One 2-hour cross country flight in a single engine airplane in daytime conditions that consists of a total straight-line distance of more than 100 nautical miles from the original point of departure". Does this mean the entire flight can be 2.0 hours, OR does this mean the 100nm from point A to B needs to be 2 hours? I had a DPE that said from point A to point B needs to be > 100nm AND that must also be >= 2 hours. In other words if you did A to B and back home to A, it would be like 4 hours. He suggested doing the 2 hours out day, then wait and do the 2 hours back night to cover both. Seemed odd to me.

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

5 Answers

  1. Kris Kortokrax on Dec 16, 2011

    The time for the entire flight is a minimum of 2 hours.  The 100 NM minimum distance is just that, a minimum. 
    The DPE is making up his own interpretation.  Call the local FSDO and have them deal with the examiner.
    The suggestion to do 2 hours out in the day and 2 hours back at night is not a bad suggestion, if you want to go that way.  I would allow a bit of time to rest between flights.  2 hours out and turning around and doing 2 hours back might be too much for some people.  Your instructor would also need to agree to this.

    +4 Votes Thumb up 4 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Bill Trussell on Dec 16, 2011

    The two hour requirement has its roots in the desire to see that a pilot granted commercial privaleges has the experience at conducting longer cross countries, in various conditions including day and night operations across multiple “weather zones”.  Longer trips is covered by the 2 hour total time requirement, while the “weather zones” issue is covered by the 100NM requirement.  It is important to note that you may have already satisfied this requirement with some flights you may have taken for pleasure rather than strictly for training for your commercial certificate.  Those flights would still count townard this goal. 
    There is no requirement that the flights occur on the same day, or for that matter in the same year.  The point is that you have experience in longer trips.  Make the trips for fun as well as for the experience!

    +1 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. Kris Kortokrax on Dec 16, 2011

    It is doubtful that the requirement might have been satisfied by previous pleasure flights, unless he did a post private pilot dual cross country training flight for pleasure (could have happend, but doubtful).  61.129(a)(3) deals with training on the areas of 61.127(b )(1).
    Begin opinion.
    With regard to experience,  the FAA keeps dumbing down the requirements to the point that 61.129(a)(4) no longer requires solo flight, but allows a flight instructor to babysit the trainee through the requirements.  Hardly produces pilots with seasoning/experience.  They are depending on the experience of the instructor.
    End opinion.

    +3 Votes Thumb up 4 Votes Thumb down 1 Votes

  4. n on Dec 16, 2011

    At least 100nm
    At least 2hrs

    +1 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  5. Richard on Jan 09, 2016

    can this requirement be done solo or does a CFI need to accompany the flight?

    +1 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.