Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

4 Answers

Do the part 141 Commercial solo cross countries have to be conducted under VFR?

Asked by: 503 views General Aviation

I keep getting conflicting answers from different CFIs that I've asked. But I don't see a VFR requirement here: https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/appendix-D_to_part_141


Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

4 Answers

  1. John Scarry on Dec 31, 2017

    In the same section they specifically require night VFR conditions for the takeoffs and landings. If they required VFR for the cross-country, they would have said so.

    §61.129 Aeronautical experience.
    (4) (ii) 5 hours in night VFR conditions with 10 takeoffs and 10 landings (with each landing involving a flight in the traffic pattern) at an airport with an operating control tower.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. cmpt7 on Dec 31, 2017

    Do you know if there was a change in the rules then? Because the CFIs who told me it had to be VFR were speaking from their experience from their commercial training

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. Timothy Broadwater on Dec 31, 2017

    What does the TCO at your school say? That is the determining document.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  4. Russ Roslewski on Jan 01, 2018

    For Part 61, it did indeed require VFR, up until a few years ago. I forget how many, certainly within the last 10 years. Since the Part 141 requirement is otherwise worded identically, I suspect it changed at the same time.

    They simply removed the VFR requirement and everybody back then was confused. So yes, for people who got their Commercial certificate before the change, they would remember it being a VFR requirement. However, that doesn’t excuse them as CFIs from staying up to date.

    However however, Part 141 lays down what is essentially the minimum requirements. The school will have an approved syllabus that they have to use. If that syllabus has not been updated since the change, then it very well may still say “VFR” – it which case it IS a requirement, but only at that school.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.