Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

4 Answers

what must i do as a cfi with a me to be able to instruct multi engine?

Asked by: 609 views Flight Instructor

what must i do as a cfi with a me to be able to instruct multi engine?

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

4 Answers

  1. Kris Kortokrax on Oct 22, 2017

    If you already have a Flight Instructor certificate with a multi-engine rating, you should know what you need in order to instruct in a multi-engine airplane.

    What you need most is either some school with a multi-engine airplane that will trust you to instruct in their airplane, or you need enough money to go buy your own multi-engine airplane and insure yourself to instruct in it.

    +1 Votes Thumb up 2 Votes Thumb down 1 Votes

  2. KDS on Oct 23, 2017

    There are four airmen named Marshall Watson, and none of them are CFI’s. So, I “assume” that you are thinking in terms of long range planning.

    You’ll want to ask that question of various schools before you invest a lot of money getting the certificates. Typically, flight schools will turn brand new green CFI’s loose with students in single engine airplanes, but that isn’t so much the case with multiengine airplanes. Even if the school was willing to do it, their insurance carrier probably has a restriction.

    I’ll just add that giving instruction in a multiengine airplane without truly being the master of the airplane is quite risky.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. Mark Kolber on Oct 27, 2017

    This was unclear to me from your question: You say “with a me.” Is that me (a) just on your pilot certificate or (b) on your pilot certificate =and= your CFI certificate. At a minimum you need (b).

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  4. raajtram on Nov 12, 2017

    Sounds like you have a ME on your Commercial Pilot Certificate.

    That said, you need the following:

    Minimum 5 hours PIC in the ME aircraft that will be used for the practical test.
    Practical test with an FAA examiner for the ME Add-on onto your Flight Instructor Certificate.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.