Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

0 Answers

Private Pilot Multi Experience Reqs (need help for checkride tomorrow)

Asked by: 846 views , , ,
FAA Regulations, Flight Instructor, Private Pilot

Here is the situation I was presented with, and I'm unsure of the answer.

As an MEI, you are approached by a private helicopter pilot who wants to receive his private MEL. He want's to get this done the cheapest possible. According to 61.109(b), what hours have to be multi-engine, what can be single-engine, and what doesn't have to be in an airplane at all?

What is confusing me here is 61.109 states that the solo time has to be done in accordance with 61.107(b)(2), which is multi-engine operations, but 61.109(b)(5) states "airplane". Furthermore 61.109(a)(5) states "single-engine airplane", making me think that 61.109(b)(5) allows for this to be single or multi.

I'm thinking the answer is

9 to 12 hours of multi-engine airplane time required

19/22 hours of airplane time required

(assuming we're not counting sim/ftd time)

Can an experienced MEI weigh in on this matter for me? 

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.