Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

1 Answers

R-ATP Part 61 transfer to 141

Asked by: 615 views , ,
FAA Regulations

Hello Everyone,

I am a 2015 graduate of Purdue University. I earned a Bachelor's Degree in Professional Flight. I transferred to Purdue in 2013, prior to the 14 CFR 61.160, and did my Private, Instrument and Commercial under part 61 at Mountain State University. The way the current regulation is worded, Transfer Students are particularly disqualified from earning a R-ATP, as per 61.160(b)(3)(i) and 61.160(b)(3)(ii). This is despite the regulatory guidance in the AC-61.139. Purdue, has a part 61 exemption, and I completed the rest of my training AT Purdue, as I earned a CMEL with Instrument privileges there. My question is, am I eligible for the R-ATP under Purdue's Part 61 exemption? The FAA nor Purdue seems to know! Thanks!

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

1 Answers

  1. Best Answer

    Nascr1Arrival on Jan 19, 2017

    I talked to a Purdue instructor I know about this one because I didn’t know what you meant by 61 exemption. I think the ac and reg are very clear that unless you do your instrument and commercial training at the school you transfered too, you don’t qualify for the r-atp. Sorry, but the commercial add-on with instrument priviledges doesn’t count. The 61 exemption is for people who did all their training at Purdue before they recently became a 141 program. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if you want more information, Purdue is supposed to have a person designated to handle the r-atp. I’m surprised they weren’t able to give you an exact answer. I hope that helps.

    +1 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.