Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

1 Answers

Commercial / Instrument Helicopter to Private ASEL

Asked by: 697 views Commercial Pilot, FAA Regulations, Helicopter, Private Pilot, Student Pilot

Here's my situation:

  • I'm a prior military helicopter pilot and have a Commercial Certificate for Rotorcraft-Helicopter and Instrument Helicopter
  • I have an FAA flight physical

I want to work towards my Private Pilot ASEL and understand the written and flying requirements for what I can apply from before to this rating. What I don't understand is:

  • Do I need to apply for a student certificate even though I already have a commercial for a different category/class?
  • If not, is it just the endorsements in AC 61-65F in my logbook, specifically from Appendix 1, #70?
  • It's been almost 2 years since my last flight in helicopter, do I need to do anything else before I can solo? I read something about a flight review or if there are any requirements to keep my commercial certificate current? I may be way off on this one...
  • Is there anything else I'm not thinking of?

Thanks for the help!

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

1 Answers

  1. Kris Kortokrax on Sep 17, 2016

    You do not need a student pilot certificate. You have a Commercial pilot certificate. The FAA would not issue you a student pilot certificate.

    You need an endorsement for 61.31 (d)(2) to act as PIC of an aircraft for which you are not rated. You will also need a current flight review in the helicopter to act as PIC in the airplane (I know it sounds ridiculous, but that’s the way it is).

    +2 Votes Thumb up 2 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.