Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

1 Answers

ATP multi engine land. CFI CFII MEI teach instrument in single ?

Asked by: 808 views Flight Instructor, Instrument Rating

A pilot has an FAA ATPL with multi engine land . He also  has a CFI- CFII- MEI

He flew single engines for thousands of hours with a foreign license that has now lapsed.

Can he teach instrument in a single engine to a certificated private pilot ? 

(He did his CFII check ride with FAA inspector in a single engine)

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

1 Answers

  1. Kris Kortokrax on Aug 07, 2016

    The short answer is no. Per 61.195(b), he cannot give instruction in a single engine airplane unless he has a pilot certificate (U.S.) with a single engine rating.

    The longer answer would question what you mean by CFI-CFII-MEI. If you mean he has a Flight Instructor certificate with ratings for Airplane Single and Multiengine and Instrument Airplane, I would question how he obtained the Single engine rating without having a U.S. Commercial pilot certificate with an Airplane Single Engine Land or Sea rating. He should never have been allowed to take a Flight Instructor practical for a Single Engine rating without it. He should also not have been allowed to take the Flight Instructor Instrument test in a single engine airplane if he were not rated in the U.S. for single engine airplanes.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.