Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

4 Answers

Airworthiness Categories

Asked by: 914 views FAA Regulations, General Aviation

As I look over Trade a Plane with the intention of buying my own entry level aircraft, I came across a 172 that has a Restricted airworthiness cert for Aerial Surveying.  I am unclear as to what that means exactly.  Does that mean the aircraft can only be flown for that purpose, or can it be flown like any typical GA aircraft under part 91?  If you want to look it up, the N number is 8884B

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

4 Answers

  1. Kris Kortokrax on Jun 10, 2016

    See 91.313(a)

    It may only be flown for the purpose for which is is certificated.

    It is quite likely that you can pay a mechanic to perform the work necessary to return it to standard category, but that means that you will be laying out more money that just the purchase price to have an airplane you can use.

    -1 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 1 Votes

  2. RickS on Jun 10, 2016

    Thanks, that answers my question completely! I am an A&P, so as long as it’s nothing major, I could probably do the work myself. Looks like most likely there was a hole cut into the cabin floor and aircraft outer skin. Whether any control cables were rerouted might be a bigger issue!

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. Kris Kortokrax on Jun 10, 2016

    You can order a copy of the aircraft records from Oklahoma City.
    They should contain any 337s for the work done to put it in restricted category.

    Undo that and check with a maintenance inspector at your local FSDO.
    He should be able to issue you the Standard Airworthiness Certiicate.

    -1 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 1 Votes

  4. RickS on Jun 11, 2016

    Just talked with the owner, and he said it isn’t restricted. May be an error on the FAA’s part, or is it possible to have an A/W cert in 2 classifications? The data that comes up for N8884B says “STANDARD-RESTRICTED” for classification, and “Aerial Surveying” for category.


    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.