Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

1 Answers

Commercial Requirement

Asked by: 1184 views Flight Instructor

If someone who has private pilot license with 250 hours(or more) on helicopter  wants to get commercial license on airplane will his/her hours get credits towards his commercial training in airplane? and will he/she have to get private pilot license first on airplane before he goes for commercial or will his/her helicopter private license is good enough? 

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

1 Answers

  1. Best Answer

    Mike O on Feb 21, 2016

    I just did this (I have a commercial instrument helicopter >3000 hours and got my com sel inst) all your helicopter time counts. What you’ll need is the airplane specific time You can look in part 61 or 141 to find your requirements depending on how you plan to go to school.

    Basically, I did 55 hours in airplanes, with the requisite cross countries and instrument training. For the commercial you’ll also need some complex time. And you’ll need to get signed off to log pic under the instruction of a cfi in order to meet the time.

    Bottom line all your helicopter time can be used to meet the requirements, just need to look it up and do a log book scrub to figure out how much time you need.

    Good luck, it’s addictive and fun! I just passed my commercial single engine airplane instrument practical test last week.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.