Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

2 Answers

Start my own helicopter business under part 91

Asked by: 1962 views , , , ,
Commercial Pilot, FAA Regulations, Helicopter

I recently finished my training to become a commercial helicopter pilot. My plan is fairly simple. I want to open my own business with one helicopter and operate under part 91. As far as I understand it, I can do everything that is listed under 119.1 (3); Student instruction (I can't do that since I am not a certified instructor),  Nonstop Commercial Air tours, Ferry or training flights (again I can only do the ferry flights), Aerial work, Nonstop flights for parachutes. What I want to do is Photo Flights and Airtours within a 25 miles until I have enought hours to apply for 135 certification. Provided I have a base of operations and a helicopter could I (theoretically) start tomorrow and do those two things? Can I "hold out" to the public? Meaning offering the services on my webpage and flyers? If the answer is yes, how do I start this process? Do I have to notify the FAA? Are there application forms? Does anyone else need to know or approve it? I am looking forward to your answers.

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

2 Answers

  1. Kris Kortokrax on Sep 02, 2015

    Yes, you can start your business.

    However, for the sightseeing rides, see 91.147 and Part 136, Subpart A. You will need to be in a drug testing program and apply to your local FSDO for a Letter of Authorization to conduct the rides. It is a very simple process. Also, note that it is a 25 Statute mile radius, not Nautical mile.

    You may want to consider other things like the cost of insurance for the helicopter while using it for commercial purposes.

    Good luck.

    +1 Votes Thumb up 2 Votes Thumb down 1 Votes

  2. Mark Kolber on Sep 03, 2015

    Kris makes a good point about insurance.

    Other things you may want to consider are the rules and standards of the airport you are basing the business from (which may include such things as minimum required insurance and other expenses). There may also be state and local laws and regulations that apply. Remember that although it is a aviation-related business, it is still a business and state laws that apply generally to business activities will apply.

    +2 Votes Thumb up 2 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.