Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

2 Answers

add on catagory rating/ground school

Asked by: 1555 views FAA Regulations

I have a commercial rotorcraft helicopter with instrument rating and want to add on a commercial airplane catagory.  I see that 61.61 b4 says I dont' need to take a knowledge test since I hold a rotorcraft certificate at the commercial level.   But 61.123 c and d talk about the requirement for ground school training and the subsequent required knowlege test on said ground school topics. my question is: Do I need to do ground school? (Part 141 school) while it says it's required it also says the knowlege test is required but I know that isn't true based on 61.61b4. so if the knowlege test isn't required why would the ground school.   thanks! mike

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Dauntless Aviation's GroundSchool series of apps are the smart pilot's choice for fast and effective FAA knowledge test prep.
Actual, up-to-date FAA questions Polished user experience
Best explanations in the business Free lifetime updates!
Private Pilot IFR Commercial Pilot CFI ATP Sport Pilot Sport Pilot Instructor Parachute Rigger Aviation Mechanic (A&P)
You can get the app now and be studying right away. Available for PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android.

2 Answers

  1. Russ Roslewski on May 13, 2015

    I think you’re confusing two regulations here, as it seems you’re asking about both part 61 and part 141.

    Part 61 states that you do not need to pass a knowledge test. I went the opposite way from you, Commercial airplane to add on Commercial-RH, and did not have have to take a knowledge test. Under Part 61 there is no requirement for any “formal” ground school at all. Home study and such are fine.

    Part 141, however, regulates the school’s course content. They can not deviate from what the FAA has approved them to do – in other words, since Part 141 requires a certain amount of ground school as part of their program, then you’re required to complete it – whether or not you have to pass a knowledge test.

    I assume you are talking about a 141 course that operates under Part 141 Appendix I for additional category training – 55 hours of flight training, 20 hours of ground training.

    If you want to go Part 141, you’re just going to have to do the ground school, test or no test. The school can’t “graduate” you until you meet all the requirements.

    Or, you could go Part 61. Which is more effective for you depends obviously on your personal situation – Part 61 still requires 50 hours airplane PIC.

    At a Part 141 school I used to teach at, we would take Part 61 students as well – run them through basically the same course, but without the additional 141 requirements.

    +1 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Kris Kortokrax on May 13, 2015

    141 is 141.

    As far as Part 61 goes, you don’t need to log ground school for the subjects outlined in 61.125.

    But, look at the wording in 61.127(a).

    “A person who applies for a commercial pilot certificate must receive and log ground and flight training from an authorized instructor on the areas of operation of this section that apply to the aircraft category and class rating sought.”

    While there is no requirement to log ground training on the subject areas for the knowledge test, there is a stated requirement to log ground training on all the maneuvers. So, you do need ground school, just not for what you thought.

    +1 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.