Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

2 Answers

What are the time requirements to go from Private SE Airplane and Instrument to Commercial Multi Engine?

Asked by: 2192 views Flight Instructor

ME Commercial from SE Private

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

2 Answers

  1. Wes Beard on Sep 02, 2014

    The requirements to become a commercial multi-enigne airplane pilot are listed in §61.129(b).

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Mitchell L Williams on Sep 24, 2014

    While Wes Beard’s answer is exactly correct, there are some interesting items to be aware of:

    1. Many of the aeronautical experience requirements have to be in a multi-engine airplane if ME is your first commercial certificate, and

    2. Some ME solo requirements allow a CFI to ride-along.

    I have used two paths to go from SE-Private to ME-Comm.

    Path 1: Get ME Private > build experience requirements > get ME-Comm

    Path 2: Train ME Priv > Give ME Solo Endorsement > Build Experience Req > Get ME Com

    Path 1 has two checkrides while path 2 has one, so the advantage of path 2 is the applicant saves one checkride fee.

    My insurance will not allow the student to actually fly solo with just a ME solo endorsement, so on path 2 all experience requirements will include a CFI riding along, while a real ME private can actually solo.

    In both cases we would train for Private pilot certificate: ME operations, engine failures, steep turns, slow flight, stalls, Engine failure at cruse, Vmc demo, engine shutdown, engine start-up, emergency decent, Single-Engine instrument approach, SE Circle to land, SE landings, short field landing. Then either send for private add-on checkride or Solo Endorsement.

    Experience requirements include 2 hour dual day xc, 2 hour dual night xc, 250/300 mile solo. I sometimes combine these and use the 2hr dual to get 250/300 miles away then fly the solo (with cfi) flight. 5 Hours ME instrument, ( have some in private training and some in commercial training), balance here. 5 hours night VFR with 10 landing at control tower, then additional practice to get to 10 hours solo.

    The Commercial ME checkride is very similar to private, so maybe 5-10 hours getting ready for steeper steep turns and tighter tolerances.

    Good luck.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.